Sometimes reading a voicemail message is easier than listening to it. Voicemail transcription, available only on Business Cloud Communications, takes the audio from the voicemail message and converts it to text, which is then forwarded to one or more email addresses with or without the message attached as an MP3 file (depending on if you also have forwarding enabled).
With voicemail transcription, you can:
- Get important messages when you can’t take a call
- Browse your voicemails in email, rather than listening and re-listening
- Keep searchable records of business voicemails
- Easily forward messages you’ve received
The voicemail transcription setting can be enabled in the Voice Portal for each voicemail box.
- In the Voice Portal, go to the Voicemail section.
- Under Message Settings, check the box for Enable Transcription.
- Optionally, check the box for Forward Voicemail to Email to email an MP3 of the message and Keep a copy in voicemail box if you want to save a copy of the message in the voicemail box when it's forwarded.
- In the field below, enter one or more email addresses in the field below separated by commas (required).
- Click [Save].
Voicemail messages will be transcribed and sent to the email address(es) indicated here. If Forward Voicemail to Email is also enabled, an MP3 of the message will be attached to the email.
Voicemails can only be transcribed from US English. If a message cannot be transcribed for any reason, such as poor audio quality, an email will still be sent with a message saying, "Message could not be transcribed."