Business Cloud > Auto-Attendant
Once an auto-attendant has been activated, whether or not a phone number has been assigned yet, it can no longer be edited. This is because the Auto-Attendant route builder saves changes in real time, and we don't want you to accidentally break an active call flow, even temporarily.
If you just want to take a look at how the auto-attendant is set up, click to open it in View Only mode. But if you do need to make changes, you have a few options:
Option 1: Duplicate, Edit, Switch
- In the Voice Portal, go to the Auto-Attendant page. Locate the one you want to modify and click Duplicate.
- Click Edit to open the builder and make any necessary changes.
- Go back to the Auto-Attendant page, find the one you just modified, and click Activate.
- When you're ready for the new version to go live, go to the Phone Numbers page and locate the phone number assigned to the original auto-attendant.
- Click the destination on the right and change it to the new auto-attendant. Calls to that phone number will now be directed through the new auto-attendant.
- Go to the Auto-Attendant page, locate the original, and click Deactivate.
- Delete the old version or rename it so users don't confuse them.
Option 2: Deactivate, Edit, Reactivate
To avoid breaking an active call flow, make these changes after-hours when you're sure calls aren't coming in for as long as it will take to make changes.
- In the Admin Portal, go to the Phone Numbers page and locate the phone number assigned to the auto-attendant you want to modify.
- Click the phone number destination on the right and change it to "None" or another viable option (like a temporary auto-attendant).
- Go to the Auto-Attendant page and locate the one you want to modify. Click Deactivate.
- Now click Edit to open the builder and make any necessary changes.
- When you're done, go back to the Auto-Attendant page, locate the auto-attendant you just modified, and click Activate.
- Click the Assign Phone Number link to go to the Phone Numbers page.
- Locate the phone number you want to assign, then click the destination on the right and change it back to the auto-attendant.
- Click [Save]. Calls to that phone number will now be directed through the auto-attendant.
If you don't have access to the Auto-Attendant or Phone Numbers pages, please contact Customer Support for assistance.